The final Version
4-15, 2020 Working with  the references
There is my reference material that I got from Professor Bridget. I feel like its texture is similar with an agate, such as the color and roughness. There are so many varieties on its surface. I think that maybe complicated create a shader to mimic its texture in some way. 
4-18, 2020 mATCH UP THE SCENE
Today's work was to build up a new project by using Sarah's fountain photographs. Using different projections and shaders to match up the perspective and lighting in Maya. The dragon model was applied from Stanford Model Library.
4-21, 2020 The first approach of rendering
Just created a mixed shader which was combined with two different shaders. One is an AiStandardSurfacre with 1.00 transmission on. Another one is a subsurface shader connected to two marble texture nodes to gain more variations. 
Just created a mixed shader which was combined with two different shaders. One is an AiStandardSurfacre with 1.00 transmission on. Another one is a subsurface shader connected to two marble texture nodes to gain more variations. 
4-23, 2020 the render test
There are some render tests. Still working on adjusting the shaders and optimizing the node tree in Nuke.
4-25, 2020 the render test. Part II
Maya, Nuke, Substamce Painter
The previous approaches 
In this part, I was focusing on how to get the transparent strips more realistic like my reference has. The previous one is a little bit off for me. Then I tried to create a cracker mask in Maya but it doesn't perform really well. So I explore a new solution to make it.
The opacity map from Subtance painter
I applied an opacity map to mimic the strips on the stone. Substance Painter is a very handy tool to draw the opacity map on the surface of the objects instead of drawing on the UVs. The result was really closed to what I expected.
4-26, 2020 compositing, part i
Maya, Nuke
Node tree
All elements
The shadow issue
The only big problem for me when I was doing the compositing was the shadow of the branches. The grass and branch were casting some shadows and overlap the shadow of my object. I don't want to scale down my main object to avoid shadow issues. That will be making the details too small to be seen. Probably, this problem has to be solved manually. I created the trackers and roto maskings in nuke. The trackers can track the movement of the grass and produce an animated path. Link the animated path with the drawing masks to block the shadows.
4-27, 2020 Final works​​​​​​​
Previous work
The final video was composited by after effects
Feedbacks

1.The object occlusion is too bright.Tint the glass a bit red so that it does not get the white line on the edge.
2.Marble needs more variation. Consider using another procedural with this to get a less mathematical look.
3. Adjust the opacity map. 
4.Reducing the saturation of the project. Match the saturation of the plate.
5. Fading the shadow when the object flies away. And saturate the shadow. Maybe more red oever there.

You may also like

Back to Top